Antioxidants and Anti Aging Skincare for Men
It’s easy for skincare to move to the back burner in your 20s. But by the 30s and 40s, many men are looking for ways to mitigate signs of skin aging. While you can’t change the past, anti-aging skincare for men can still help. With the right ingredients, it’s easy to improve your skin and protect it going forward.
Signs and Causes of Skin Aging
There are some common signs of skin aging that any effective anti-aging skincare for men should address.
- Fine lines and wrinkles: Skin loses elasticity as it ages so it can’t bounce back from repeated muscle movements. Damage from sun exposure can also appear as wrinkles.
- Dryness or oiliness: The older we are, the less water our skin can hold, leading to dryness. On the other hand, oil glands become larger and sometimes overactive.
- Dark spots or uneven skin tone: This is called hyperpigmentation and it comes from hormones or after healing from skin trauma like acne, UV rays, or scrapes.
- Reduced cell turnover: Fewer fresh skin cells means rougher, more blemished skin.
- Reduced collagen production: Collagen helps keep skin plump so less collagen leads to sagging skin.
The Relationship Between Oxidative Stress and Skin Aging
Many people are unaware of the devastating effects oxidative stress has on our bodies, including aging skin.
Oxidative stress occurs when we have too many free radicals, a by-product of cellular functions including reactions to injury, disease, or toxin exposure. Left unchecked, free radicals can damage cells and their DNA. Research has linked oxidative stress to a variety of health problems from chronic fatigue to cancer and skin issues from acne to (you guessed it) increased skin aging
Fortunately, we have allies in the fight against oxidative stress: antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances that disarm free radicals so they can be safely eliminated, protecting our cells from oxidative stress.
Antioxidants and Anti Aging Skin Care for Men
Getting plenty of antioxidants is crucial for our overall health, including supporting our skin as we age. One way to do this is by eating foods rich in antioxidants (check out Auro founder Dr. Nayan Patel’s comprehensive Glutathione Revolution to learn more about this). Another is using antioxidant ingredients in our skincare.
Popular skincare antioxidants include:
- Vitamin A: This often appears in skincare as retinol, a potent way to stimulate collagen and cell turnover.
- Vitamin C: Not just an immune superstar, Vitamin C also boosts collagen and brightens hyperpigmentation.
- Vitamin E: Long recognized as an amazing skin nutrient, Vitamin E locks in moisture and strengthens the skin barrier
Glutathione (GSH) is not only a powerful antioxidant, but it can also recycle itself and other antioxidants. This boosts your overall supply and maximizes the benefits of any other skin treatment you try.
GSH increases collagen and cell turnover, repairs damage from UV rays, reduces the appearance of scars, lightens hyperpigmentation, and improves overall skin function. This helps keep your skin in tip-top shape even as the years go by.
The Auro Skin Protocol combines this miracle molecule with other antioxidants like Vitamins C and E and premium skincare ingredients to provide total anti-aging skincare in a safe and easy-to-use format.
While anti-aging skincare for men can seem overwhelming, antioxidants like GSH provide a proven way to simultaneously protect your health and keep skin vibrant. The more you integrate them into your routine, the happier your skin will be!